Breaking the gap in Afghanistan: What needs to happen in the post-war economy of Afghanistan

When the Soviets invaded Afghanistan in 1979, they wanted to not only develop the resourceful sector, but as well, eliminate the back-fighting military i.e. Mujahidin – therefore killing the Afghans. However, Afghans fought back through the support of CIA and ISI. This created an internal conflict after the 10-year Soviets occupation in the country, thus Afghans fought each other for power. No one really paid attention to how the country would benefit Afghani people – its resources – developing them – using them to survive.

In 2001, the US invaded Afghanistan to forcefully remove the Taliban from power – causing the destruction of buildings, water dams, and homes. As a result, economy has not been developed in Afghanistan to the satisfaction of foreign governments, thus leaving Afghans in the need side. About 30 percent of country now has access to electricity, while the remaining 70 percent i.e. 21 million are without electricity in Afghanistan.

The U.S. administration has spent $1.5 trillion on the war in Afghanistan since 2001, while comparing it to Vietnam’s war, it is nine times more expensive. This has made the war in Afghanistan an important mission of the U.S. in its history.

Moreover, some 800,000 Afghan migrants returned back to their home land according to a survey carried out by IOM this year. At the end of 2018, Afghanistan’s economy saw export rate income for the year at roughly $1 Billion.

Today, the foreign governments who went to Afghanistan to bring stability, is responsible to help the Afghans survive. Otherwise, they would continue to kill each other and live in a more poverty country like that of Africa regions once President Trump fully withdraws all troops from Afghanistan.

About Meladul 74 Articles
Former candidate in municipal elections in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.